The New South Wales Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) will bring in independent counsel to review his office’s decision not to prosecute two suspects in the brutal killing of Lynette Daley.
The DPP, Lloyd Babb SC, said he had asked Philip Strickland SC and Belinda Baker to review the decision.
Ms Daley, 33, died from serious injuries during a 2011 camping trip on Ten Mile Beach near Iluka, in the state’s north, after violent sex acts were performed on her when she was drunk.
“Given the importance of maintaining public confidence in the administration of justice, I have taken the unusual step of seeking advice from independent counsel,” Mr Babb said.
“These two very experienced and highly regarded barristers from the private bar will review all the material and provide their advice to me.
“I will then proceed to make my decision and advise the public of the outcome.”
Ms Daley’s parents have demanded a meeting with NSW Attorney-General Gabrielle Upton to seek answers as to why the suspects were never held to account.
Ms Daley was found naked, bruised, and bloodied and an autopsy later found she died from blunt force genital tract trauma.
Her family and supporters have criticised the DPP for not prosecuting two men allegedly involved in her death.
A spokesman for Ms Upton said she was happy to meet with Ms Daley’s family to discuss the matter.
Adrian Attwater was charged with manslaughter and Paul Maris with manslaughter accessory after the fact, and the coroner referred the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions, but neither man was prosecuted.
‘Talk isn’t enough, we want action’: stepfather
Gordon Davis, Ms Daley’s stepfather, said he was pleased Ms Upton had called him and his wife, Ms Daley’s mother, Thelma on Wednesday afternoon.
He said he hoped the independent review would lead to something being done.
But he said it was all “too little, too late” for Ms Daley.
“Talk isn’t enough, we want action,” he said.
“We’ve been hurt and let down in the past five years. We want something done.
“And we’re not going to give up until we get it done.
He said he was very grateful to the ABC for the coverage of the story.
“If it wasn’t for Four Corners we would have just been swept in the corner … we owe a lot to them.”
He said the family had previously trusted the authorities to do the right thing, but they had not come through for them, so it will be difficult to trust that they will do what is right now.