news

What you need to know about COVID-19 today, Friday April 10.

Two more Australians have died of coronavirus.

Two more Australians have died in hospital overnight after contracting COVID-19, taking the national death toll to 53.

The victims have been identified as a Victorian man aged in his 80s and a 69-year-old man from NSW, who passed away at Newcastle’s John Hunter Hospital.

Speaking to the media on Friday, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said, “These are not just numbers, these are people whose families will be missing them today.”

Victoria had an increase of just 13 cases of coronavirus overnight, tipping the state’s total to 1,241. Forty-three people are in hospital in the state — seven fewer than Thursday — with 13 of those in intensive care. A total of 926 people have recovered.

In New South Wales, there have been 49 new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, taking the total to 2,822. Of those, 211 are in hospital with 29 patients in intensive care.

NSW on Thursday recorded just 39 new coronavirus cases, which was the smallest increase in infections since March 16.

The highest 24-hour increase was in late March when the state recorded 212 new cases.

Boris Johnson out of ICU and in the “early phase of his recovery”.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has left intensive care as he recovers from COVID-19, but remains under close observation in hospital.

Johnson, 55, was admitted to St Thomas’ Hospital in London on Sunday evening with a persistent high temperature and cough. He was rushed to intensive care on Monday where he spent three nights receiving treatment.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The Prime Minister has been moved this evening from intensive care back to the ward, where he will receive close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery,” a spokesman from his office said in an emailed statement on Thursday.

“He is in extremely good spirits.”

Johnson was the first world leader to be hospitalised with the coronavirus, forcing him to hand control of the world’s fifth-largest economy to Foreign Minister Dominic Raab, just as Britain’s outbreak approaches its most deadly peak.

The UK death toll in hospitals from coronavirus now stands at 7978, a rise of 881 on the day but a smaller increase than the 938 seen in Wednesday’s data.

The government statement did not give any details on when Prime Minister Johnson may be able to resume leadership.

Easter the “most important weekend” in Australian outbreak.

Australians are being urged to spend Easter “locking in the gains” made from the strict coronavirus measures as the nation recorded fewer than 100 daily infections for the first time in three weeks.

More than 6,000 Australians have had the coronavirus and 52 people have died, but Health Minister Greg Hunt says the low rate of new cases is an important milestone.

However, Australia still has a long way to go, he says, with concerns remaining about the 10 per cent of cases from an unknown source.

“The virus does not take a holiday. Therefore, none of us can relax in what we do,” Mr Hunt said on Thursday.

“This, in many ways, is the most important weekend we may face in the whole course of the virus.

“This weekend there is good news for Australia, but there is a warning that we can either lock in the gains or lose those gains.”

The daily infection rate has dropped below two per cent, with 81 new cases recorded on Thursday, the lowest since 79 on March 17, compared to a peak of 469 new cases on March 28.

Senior NSW MP fined over trip to holiday home.

A NSW MP has been fined $1000 after staying at his Central Coast holiday home and breaching a coronavirus public health order.

NSW Arts Minister Don Harwin was spotted earlier this week at his million-dollar Pearl Beach house which is more than an hour’s drive from his east Sydney primary residence.

In a Cabinet meeting he had argued against the travel restrictions without declaring a conflict of interest, The Daily Telegraph reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said police would investigate, noting there was photographic evidence of another person in the holiday home.

Officers spoke with the 55-year-old on Thursday and fined him after they were alerted to the fact he had relocated to the Pearl Beach holiday home “in contravention of current Ministerial Direction under the Public Health Act,” NSW Police said in a statement.

Mr Fuller said no individual or corporation is above the COVID-19 laws.

Minister Don Harwin. Image: Getty.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian had defied calls to sack the MP and said she would wait for police to first establish the facts.

She told Mr Harwin on Thursday to return to his Sydney apartment - acknowledging the "perception is horrible".

Ms Berejiklian is adamant Mr Harwin didn't break the rules because he relocated on March 13 before state COVID-19 regulations came into effect on March 17.

Not wanting to "cause a distraction", Mr Harwin confirmed he had arrived back in Sydney in a statement on Thursday.

He apologised to the premier and the NSW community but insisted he had sought official advice to adhere to the public health order.

NSW Labor is calling on Mr Harwin to resign or, failing that, for the premier to step in and relieve him of his ministerial duties.

ADVERTISEMENT

Virgin Australia grounds domestic flights.

Virgin Australia has grounded domestic flights in the wake of tightened COVID-19 travel restrictions.

The airline announced in a statement on Thursday evening that it will continue to operate a daily service between Melbourne and Sydney, with the exception of Saturdays, but will temporarily suspend all other passenger flights from Friday 10 April.

"Demand for travel has continued to decline with border restrictions and the need for people to stay home due to social distancing measures," the statement read.

A message to affected customers on the Virgin Australia website reads:

"If you a hold a ticket for travel up to June 30, 2020, you can change your booking or request a travel credit without a change or cancellation fee. Fare and tax differences may apply.

"Guests who have booked flights on a suspended service will be contacted via email, prioritised by departure date, with alternative travel options."

The move comes less than a month after the airline grounded its entire international fleet in response to the novel coronavirus.

Despite the passenger flight suspension, the company will continue to provide charter and freight services as well as repatriation flights for those stranded overseas.

"We continue to support the Australian Government with flights between Los Angeles and Hong Kong to help bring Australians home and maintain important freight links in and out of the country," the airline said in Thursday's statement.

"We stand ready to support Australians flying to their destinations again when travel restrictions ease."

- With AAP.

To protect yourself and the community from COVID-19, remain in your home unless strictly necessary, keep at least 1.5 metres away from other people, regularly wash your hands and avoid touching your face.

If you are sick and believe you have symptoms of COVID-19, call your GP ahead of time to book an appointment. Or call the national Coronavirus Health Information Line for advice on 1800 020 080. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

To keep up to date with the latest information, please visit the Department of Health website.

Feature image: Getty.

00:00 / ???