news

"The sun’s still going to come up tomorrow." Ash Barty reacts to her Wimbledon loss, & more in News in 5.

-With AAP.

1. “The sun’s still going to come up tomorrow.” Ash Barty reacts to her Wimbledon loss.

She may be returning home without the Wimbledon trophy, but Ashleigh Barty will still be loaded with the world No.1 ranking when she lobs in Brisbane this week for a well-deserved mid-season break.

Barty plans on celebrating her golden European summer with “maybe a beer or two” before jetting off to Australia to recharge her batteries before the American hardcourt swing.

Naomi Osaka’s first-round demise and Monday’s fourth-round departure of Karolina Pliskova ensures Barty will extend her stint atop the rankings for at least another two weeks.

That means the 23-year-old’s reign will eclipse the fortnight that Evonne Goolagong Cawley – the only other Australian to top the women’s rankings since they were introduced in 1973 – spent at No.1 in 1976.

“If we can hold on to the No.1 ranking, it would be great. But if we don’t, it’s not going to really change anything we do between now and our next event,” Barty said after her 3-6 6-2 6-3 loss to American Alison Riske on Monday.

While admitting she was deeply disappointed, Barty reflected on a successful few months.

“Overall it’s been a hell of a trip. Disappointed right now, obviously it’s a tough pill to swallow. In the same breath, it’s been an incredible few months. New ground for me here at Wimbledon. This is the best we’ve done,” she said.

“Today wasn’t my day. I didn’t win a tennis match. It’s not the end of the world. It’s a game. I love playing the game. I do everything in my power to try and win every single tennis match. But that’s not the case.

“Today, it’s disappointing right now. Give me an hour or so, we’ll be all good. The sun’s still going to come up tomorrow.”

Barty’s defeat was her first in 16 matches and only her seventh in the past nine months.

After withdrawing from her scheduled third-round doubles match on Tuesday citing an arm injury, Barty’s bigger concern is getting her mind and body ready for the US Open starting on August 26.

“Rest and recover,” Barty said when asked of her plans for when she arrived home, no doubt to a hero’s reception after becoming Australia’s first French Open champion in 46 years.

“I think it’s also important to really celebrate what we’ve been able to achieve over the last eight weeks.

“It’s been an extremely positive time for me and my team. Go and rest and recover with the family back home, then switch focus back to the hard courts.

“In the US, which I love that time of year, I love getting back over to the summertime there. I have some really good memories from last year.

“We go back, we knuckle down, train again, then we go again.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Barty will launch her American assault in Montreal from August 5 before winding up her US Open preparations in Cincinnati.

The final grand slam of the year gets underway on August 26.

2. Fortnite gamer pleads guilty to assaulting pregnant partner during live stream.

A Sydney gamer who refused to stop playing Fortnite to eat dinner with his family has admitted assaulting his pregnant partner after their argument was inadvertently live-streamed.

Luke James Munday, 26, pleaded guilty on Monday at Picton Local Court to the common assault of Grace Campbell in December 2018 at their Oran Park home.

The Telstra network engineer had been playing Fortnite live via streaming platform Twitch at the time. The webcam didn’t capture footage of the incident but did record the audio.

“The victim can be heard, yelling and screaming before a loud slapping sound is heard, followed by louder crying from the victim,” the agreed statement of facts reveals.

Numerous people saw the video, and one witness went to the police after the victim contacted her through Facebook Messenger, disclosed what happened through numerous messages and attached a link to the video.

The couple started arguing after Munday ignored Campbell’s request for him to stop playing and come to dinner.

When he didn’t, she went into the office area and said she wanted him to eat with the family, asking him several times only to be repeatedly told he would be out soon.

She told police she became frustrated with the lack of response from Munday, so threw a number of objects at him and his computer.

After asking her to stop, he became angry, stood up and slapped the left side of her face.

He sat down but after further objects were thrown at him pulled her to the ground but eventually got off her and walked away.

ADVERTISEMENT

In his police interview, Munday said: “She went to grab my stuff and I got angry. I stood up and slapped her on the cheek.”

“I grabbed her, and I thought I put her on the couch, but it must have been the floor,” he said.

“I just held her down because I wanted her to stop.”

The facts state Munday showed remorse during the interview and was aware his actions were inappropriate.

After the video was streamed live, Munday received numerous negative comments and was banned from the site immediately.

Grace Campbell was recently charged with common assault of Munday, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and contravening a domestic apprehended violence order.

Her case and an application for an apprehended violence order protecting Munday will be mentioned in Camden Local Court on Wednesday.

Magistrate Ian Cheetham on Monday adjourned Munday’s sentencing to August 26 and made him the subject of a two-year apprehended violence order protecting her.

3. Woman admits to blackmailing parents of terminally ill baby over stolen phone.

As a Melbourne couple’s baby girl died in their arms, a heartless scammer saw an opportunity to make some quick cash.

Jay and Dee Windross’ 11-month-old daughter Amiyah died in April, days after a mobile phone containing irreplaceable family pictures was stolen from a suburban shopping centre.

Siti Nurhidayah Kamal pleaded guilty on Monday to blackmailing the couple in the hours before and after little Amiyah’s death from an undiagnosed neurological condition.

ADVERTISEMENT

The couple made a public appeal through social media for the phone to be returned.

In WhatsApp messages 25-year-old Kamal got in touch claiming to have found it. But she told the desperate parents she’d only return it if they paid her $1000.

“Please transfer me money I will return u the phone, or maybe I just sell it,” Kamal wrote, knowing the young girl had only a short time to live.

“You may help me today, God may help you.”

She sent them her full name and bank account details – it led police straight to her once it became clear she wasn’t being honest.

“Please I’m begging you, I don’t want to erase all of you memory, I promise you I am honest person,” Kamal wrote in a message to the couple just 20 minutes after Amiyah died.

She persisted the following day, giving the grieving couple the run-around as they tried to arrange a point to exchange the phone and money.

Despite claims early in the conversation that Kamal was apologetic for not returning the phone earlier, it eventually became clear Kamal was not being truthful.

A Malaysian national, Kamal had been living in Springvale with her husband and was working as an food deliver rider.

She has two children who remained with family in Malaysia.

Magistrate Jonathan Klestadt ordered Kamal remain in custody until a pre-sentence hearing on October 31.

Despite a widespread appeal for help, Ms Windross’ phone has not been returned.

4. Woman pleads guilty to ‘egging’ Prime Minister Scott Morrison during election campaign.

A Victorian woman has pleaded guilty to a politically motivated assault on the prime minister during which she struck the back of Scott Morrison’s head with her hand while attempting to “egg” him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Amber Paige Holt failed in her bid to crack the egg but hit the PM hard enough to make his head jerk forward.

The 25-year-old on Monday pleaded guilty to common assault in Albury Local Court.

The court heard Holt put an egg in her pocket before entering the Country Women’s Association state conference in Albury in early May.

She planned to break the egg on the prime minister’s head because she didn’t like him “as he was not voted into the position”.

But the egg fell from Holt’s hand to the ground “and the accused struck the back of the head of the prime minister, jolting his head forward”.

Holt was due to be sentenced on Monday but the matter was adjourned for two weeks to allow the prosecution and defence time to consider the actual “harm” of the assault.

Magistrate Imad Abdul-Karim noted there was a similar commonwealth offence that encompassed an assault on an elected public official.

The magistrate said that offence appeared to be much more serious than common assault under NSW law.

“The difficulty I’m having trouble handling (is) the gravity of the offending,” he said on Monday.

Mr Abdul-Karim insisted there was “no place for violence” in the community, especially during a political campaign.

Holt planned the offence after she heard on the radio that Mr Morrison was going to be in Albury, the magistrate said.

She went to a Coles supermarket to buy eggs specifically to carry out the attack.

The magistrate explained to Holt – who’d occasionally sobbed during Monday’s hearing – why he was adjourning sentencing to July 23.

“I understand your honour,” she said. “Thank you.”

Holt previously pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis.

5. AFP demanded ABC journalist’s private travel records amid raids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Labor has demanded an explanation from the government after federal police requested a journalist’s private travel records from Qantas, amid concerns about press freedom

But the Australian Federal Police and their ministerial steward aren’t giving the opposition any ground, stressing it would be inappropriate to comment on an ongoing investigation.

The AFP asked for senior ABC reporter Dan Oakes’ travel details as part of an investigation into a leak which exposed allegations of misconduct by Australian troops in Afghanistan.

The development appears to suggest police could be building a case against the reporter, in addition to the whistleblower, who has already admitted leaking the information.

It also potentially contradicts an assurance made by Attorney-General Christian Porter last month, that there was “absolutely no suggestion” any journalist was the subject of the AFP investigation.

Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese said Mr Porter should detail the circumstances around the police’s demands.

“He says that journalists aren’t the target of these investigations, but the fact that there was a demand by the AFP for records of flights from a journalist from Qantas shows that’s not the case,” Mr Albanese said in Brisbane on Monday.

A spokesman for Mr Porter stressed it was Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton, rather than the attorney-general, who had oversight of the AFP.

A spokeswoman for Mr Dutton said he would not comment on ongoing matters.

This sentiment was also espoused by the AFP.

“As this investigation remains ongoing, it is not appropriate to comment,” a spokesman for the agency said.

Police raided the ABC’s Sydney headquarters last month, and former Australian military lawyer David William McBride is awaiting trial over the leak.

News Corp journalist Annika Smethurst’s Canberra home was also searched in relation to a separate story, triggering concerns over press freedom.

“We’re concerned about whistleblowers as well as journalists being targeted in a way that is not appropriate and the government needs to explain what the circumstances of these AFP demands were,” Mr Albanese said.

A parliamentary inquiry is under way, with the committee expected to canvass “contested hearings” in relation to warrants authorising raids on journalists.

Tags: ash-barty , current-affairs , news-3 , news-in-5 , news-stories , sports , tennis-2
00:00 / ???