news

Tuesday's news in under 5 minutes.

We’ve rounded up all the latest stories from Australia and around the world – so you don’t have to go searching.

1. Police investigate home birth death in Adelaide.

A police investigation is underway after a twin baby boy died during a home birth in South Australia last week.

The newborn, born in a home in Fullarton, was rushed to hospital after paramedics were called but he died the following day.

The Advertiser reports that police said they were preparing a report for the coroner.

Police are investigating the baby's death. Via Istock.

The death comes four years after an inquest found that multiple births were too risky outside a hospital setting. The inquest into three births attended by deregistered midwife Lisa Barrett, one of which was a twin birth that saw newborn Tully Kavanagh, die in October 2011.

Deputy State Coroner Anthony Schapel urged law changes in his findings to make it an offence for anyone not qualified as a midwife to oversee a birth and called for more education about the dangers of home births in relation to risk factors such as multiple or breech births reports The Advertiser.

An updated version of SA Health’s policy for planned births at home in August 2013 says they should only be used in cases where there is an uncomplicated, single pregnancy and the baby is in a headfirst position.

Australian Medical Association SA president Janice Fletcher said “The loss of a child is always a tragedy and our thoughts are with the parents and family who are facing this difficult and very sad time,” Dr Fletcher said.

“Although we like to think of childbirth as a natural process that should go well, there are very real dangers involved in pregnancy and childbirth.”

Dr Fletcher said factors such as multiple or breech births still posed a danger.

“Risks still exist and these risks are higher for some mothers and babies than others due to a number of factors. Carrying twins is one of those recognised factors.”

2. Eddie McGuire’s comments about ‘drowning’ Caroline Wilson sees sponsors withdraw.

Eddie McGuire may see further repercussions from his comments made on radio about ‘drowning’ journalist Carline Wilson with a major sponsor of Collingwood announced on Monday night it is reviewing its sponsorship deal with the club and will meet with officials to discuss the agreement’s future.

Holden last year re-signed a sponsorship deal with Collingwood reportedly worth $3 million per year until the end of 2018 reports The Herald Sun.

Holden tweeted last night:

Last night Wilson told Channel 9’s Footy Classified program the comments were “totally unacceptable”.

“It was terrible to hear them the first time,” she said.

“I thought it was vicious. I thought there was venom. I do think there was some venom in the way Eddie spoke about it.

“Clearly now Eddie seems to finally, from what we’re hearing, understand that that’s not how you take on a critic of your performance.

“It was definitely a response to something I’d written. I know this too often becomes a popularity contest and I know James (Brayshaw) doesn’t particularly like me, not so much recently, but in the past I’ve been critical of him. We don’t get on all that well.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It just became a gang tackle. It’s not good enough and I don’t think anyone should have to expect that treatment male or female.”

McGuire has issued a further apology saying:

I’ve seen the impact of the comments on (Caroline),”

“No person should ever feel uneasy or threatened in football’s family and for that I am deeply sorry and I apologise unreservedly to Caroline for putting her in that position.”

“I’m passionate about stopping the violence that claims the lives of more than 65 women a year in Australia

“I want to play my part in changing the culture that has sustained violence against women ... that includes giving no comfort to men who belittle or mistrust women.”

McGuire pledged to make a personal donation to support victims of domestic violence.

3. Tinder troll may face jail time.

A Sydney man has pleaded guilty to posting a torrent of explicit abuse online after a screen shot of a woman's Tinder profile was uploaded to Facebook.

Zane Alchin, 25, from Caringbah in Sydney, entered a plea of guilty after he left 55 comments, many obscene, over a two-hour period on an image of a 24-year-old woman.

One mentioned the "best thing about raping feminists".

"I think you should have ya tubes tied baby," he posted at one point.

"What law am I breaking? I'm not the one out of the f---ing kitchen," Fairfax Media reports was another.

Paloma Brierley Newton, 24, took screen shots of the abuse that was directed at her and others and handed them to police.

She began a Facebook group "Sexual Violence Won't be Silenced" and launched a petition for tighter laws and more resources to tackle online harassment.

When Alchin was arrested in October, he told police of one explicit post that he wrote: "I got it off an anti-feminist website. To offend a group of feminists that were harassing me and my friends."

Fairfax Media reports that Alchin said he was drunk at the time and did not know what he was doing was a crime.

He now faces a maximum penalty of three years' imprisonment.

Ms Brierley Newton said she hoped the case set a precedent.

"I think that, by standing up and saying that he is guilty of a crime, it can put an end to all the backlash of, 'This is just the internet, this isn't a crime,' " she said.

4. Turnbull: Relaxing asylum seeker policy would lead to more drownings.

The Prime Minister has said that the alternative to the current asylum seeker policy “is far worse."

Appearing on Q&A Malcolm Turnbull said offshore processing of asylum seekers is harsh but any relaxation would put people smugglers straight back into business.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Any weakness on our part will be exploited by them and the consequence will be women and children and families drowning at sea," he said.

"So it's a tough choice but that's my job to make tough choices to defend Australia, to defend the integrity of our borders."

The prime minister faced some tough questioning from the audience on the issue, with one by video from a Kurdish-Iranian asylum seeker on Manus Island who asked: "Why am I still in this prison after three years?"

Mr Turnbull said he was sure he would rather come to Australia but that option wasn't open to him.

"None of us have hearts of stone” he told a Kurdish-Iranian asylum seeker on Manus Island who asked via video why he was still in prison, “all of us understand how harsh it is, our policy is, in terms of its impact on particular individuals," he said.

5. Orlando gunman’s emergency call released.

The Orlando killer, who murdered 49 people in the Pulse nightclub claimed to have laid explosives outside the nightclub and threatened to put suicide vests on hostages.

The details have come to light in newly released FBI tapes from the night of the shootings.

Partial transcripts show that gunman Omar Mateen claimed to have explosives like those used in the Paris terrorist attacks last November during multiple contacts with police in a three-hour stand off.

He repeatedly pledged allegiance to Islamic State and demanded that the US stop bombing Syria and Iraq in "chilling, calm and deliberate" conversations during the attack that killed 49 people.

The written transcripts show that Mateen called the 9/11 emergency line just after 2am and told the operator "I’m in Orlando and I did the shootings."

Specialist negotiators managed to speak with him three times, between around 2.45 and 3.30am, as he holed up in the club toilets with a group of hostages.

In the calls Mateen claimed to have a suicide vest like they "used in France" and also claimed to have planted bombs outside the building.

The FBI said they were still working on what attorney Lee Bentley today described as "the most significant terrorist attack since 9/11".

They have stressed that Mateen did not appear to have been directed by anyone else but was rather radicalised online.

6. Breast cancer breakthrough.

Australian researchers have discovered that an existing medication could have promise in preventing breast cancer in women carrying a faulty BRCA1 gene.

People who carry a faulty BRCA1 gene are at high risk of developing aggressive breast cancer. Currently many women with a gene mutation choose surgical removal of their breast tissue and ovaries to reduce their chance of developing breast and ovarian cancer.

The drug, currently used to treat osteoporosis, is still to be tested in human clinical trials.

Walter and Eliza Hall Institute researchers have identified that the drug denosumab may have potential to prevent breast cancer from developing. If confirmed in clinical studies, this would provide a non-surgical option to prevent breast cancer in women with elevated genetic risk.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are very excited by these findings because it means we’ve found a strategy that might be useful to prevent breast cancer for high risk women, particularly BRCA1 mutation carriers,” says the institute’s Professor Geoff Lindeman.

Around one in 1,000 women also carry the mutation which raises their chance of breast cancer from 12.5 per cent to 58 per cent and increases their risk of ovarian cancer 29 fold.

7. Trump campaign manager fired.

Donald Trump has fired campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski.

Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks described Lewandowski's departure as a "parting of ways."

Lewandowski has long been a controversial figure in Trump's campaign.

He was a chief promoter of the idea that the best campaign strategy was to "Let Trump be Trump."

8. Elephant Calf critical after developing gastro.

A baby Elephant at Melbourne Zoo is in a critical condition after developing a gastrointestinal infection.

The Asian elephant calf was born last Wednesday with a congenital carpal flexure meaning she could not stand and feed from her mother, Num-Oi.

Vets put splints on her front legs to try and straighten her tendons but head vet Dr Michael Lynch told The Herald Sun said the calf’s condition is still critical.

She developed the gastrointestinal infection as a result of being hand fed artificial formula and her mother’s milk.

Zoo spokeswoman Judith Henke they were concerned.

“I would describe this as a sudden worsening, but we are concerned,” she said.

9. British schools urged not to call girls girls.

British teachers at girls’ schools should consider addressing the pupils as “pupils” or “students” rather than girls, to be more inclusive to transgender children, leading headmistresses have suggested.

Caroline Jordan, president of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA), backed by other headmistresses has said that, in some circumstances, staff should use gender-neutral language.

She said “Where relevant to the audience, in assemblies, for example, instead of saying ‘Girls, go to lessons,’ staff should consider saying ‘Pupils, go to lessons’ or ‘Students, go to lessons.’

“Every year there are more and more young people posing questions around their gender identity. I do not want anyone to think that girls’ or boys’ schools are invested in one way of being a girl or one way of being a boy.”

Mrs Harrop said: “We are trying to replace the word girls with students or pupils, when transgender pupils are present and where relevant to the audience.”

Jay Stewart, of Gendered Intelligence, told The Sunday Times that the idea is not that schools stop using the words “girls” or “boys” altogether but should consider different terms in certain circumstances.

Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us [email protected]

00:00 / ???